No Job Too Large or Too Small

ACM Removal, LLC
Asbestos & Mold Abatement & Remediation
Call Us At (316) 684-1800

1. What is mold and where does it grow?

Molds are a part of the natural environment and function to break down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees. Molds also grow indoors and there are steps you should take to avoid the growth of molds in your home. Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores. The spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through the outdoor and indoor air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. There are many types of mold and none of them will grow without water or moisture.

2. Is mold dangerous?

Mold is usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.

3. What are the common reactions to mold?

Allergic reactions include hay fever-type symptoms, such as:

Sneezing
Runny Nose
Red Eyes
Skin Rash

Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.

4. What's "toxic" mold?

According to the National Center for Environmental Health, the term "toxic mold" is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds, which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss.


5. How do molds get in the indoor environment and how do they grow?

Mold spores occur in the indoor and outdoor environments. Molds spores may enter your house from the outside through open doorways, windows and heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems with outdoor air intakes. Spores on the air outside also attach themselves to people and animals, making clothing, shoes, bags, and pets' convenient vehicles for carrying mold indoors. When mold spores drop on places where there is excessive moisture, such as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or where there has been flooding, they will grow.

6. How do you get the molds out of buildings, homes, schools, and places of employment?

In most case mold can be removed from hard surfaces by a thorough cleaning with commercial products, soap and water, or a weak bleach solution (1 cup of bleach in 1 gallon of water). Absorbent or porous materials like ceiling tiles, drywall, and carpet may have to be thrown away if they become moldy. If you have an extensive amount of mold and you do not think you can manage the cleanup on your own, you may want to contact a professional who has experience in cleaning mold in buildings and in homes. It is important to properly clean and dry the area as you can still have an allergic reaction to parts of the dead mold and mold contamination may recur if there is still a source of moisture.



What Is Asbestos?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring family of fibrous mineral substance. The typical size of asbestos fibers is not generally visible to the human eye. When disturbed, asbestos fibers may become suspended in the air for many days, thus increasing the extent of asbestos exposure for individuals within the area.

EPA regulations identify the following types of asbestos: chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, anthophyllite, actinolite, and tremolite. Approximately 95 percent of all asbestos used in commercial products is chrysotile.

Asbestos became a popular commercial product because it is non-combustible, resistant to corrosion, has a high tensile strength, and a low electrical conductivity. However, asbestos had very little use until the early 1900s, when it was employed as thermal insulation for steam engines. Since then, asbestos fibers have been mixed with various types of binding materials to create an estimated 3,000 different commercial products.



LET US ENSURE YOUR HOME IS SAFE FOR YOU & YOUR FAMILY